So how do you keep your immune system strong to help prevent you catching the Corona virus?
Here are 12 things that can help:
1. You all know that washing your hands is the number one preventative measure that we are all being told. All you need is soap and water, but I would be careful about the type of soap that you use because all the antibacterial soaps contain Triclosan which is a nasty chemical linked to weakening the immune system! It is also a proven hormone disrupter and known to alter thyroid hormone levels. The best natural soap that I know of is the signature hand wash by Tropic that has Australian lemon myrtle and bergamot oils in, both of which are antibacterial. The smell is amazing too!
2. Eat a good diet, one that contains ‘live food’ that nature provides for us. Lots of vegetables especially green vegetables because they will make you more alkaline. There is a theory that viruses love and survive better in an acid medium, and most of the food we eat such as carbohydrates, protein and sugar create an acid medium. Vegetables and fruit leave an alkaline ‘ash’, so eat lots of it!
3. Cut out all sugar and processed foods, when sugar is elevated insulin blocks the ability to get enough Vitamin C into the cell and therefore prevents the immune system from fighting infections. High sugar levels also cause inflammation.
4. Eat ginger – it’s a great immune booster, I have a hot ginger water every morning when I wake up, it’s very refreshing.
5. Garlic is another great ‘cure-all’ and references of its medicinal use stretch back to the ancient Egyptians. It’s traditionally used to treat colds and coughs and also known to boost the immune system.
6. Keep yourself well hydrated as it is known that staying hydrated may boost a particular immune response and enable your body to better fight the viruses.
7. Exercise is one of the pillars of healthy living. It reduces stress levels by balancing the stress hormones such as cortisol which when too high supresses the immune system. Exercise will also make you sweat so you flush out the toxins.
8. It is very important to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night. This is the time the body detoxes and repairs itself. The hours you get before midnight are so important because that is the time that you produce melatonin, a hormone that your brain produces in response to darkness and which supports the immune system
9. 70% of your immune system is in your gut so making sure that you have a good microbiome is vital, as is the integrity across your gut wall. So many people have a ‘leaky gut’ which means that they are not properly absorbing the nutrients from the food they are eating, and also developing food sensitivities that compromise the immune system even more. A really good supplement that helps to line the gut and support and build the immune system is ColMino. It contains colostrum that forms a defensive barrier against harmful invaders such as viruses and bacteria, and beta glucans that have the ability to activate the immune system and help to maintain the body’s defence against pathogens.
Your immune system also relies on good bacteria in your gut. I would recommend taking Flora 12+, a multi-strain probiotic with a combination of 12 beneficial bacteria. It also contains the prebiotic fructooligosacharides (FOS) that acts as a fuel for the probiotics improving their rate of survival through the acidic and alkaline environments found in the gastrointestinal tract.
10. Vitamin C is a powerful immune booster and our immune system needs a lot of Vitamin C to function well. Insulin is the hormone that brings Vitamin C and glucose into the cells. When sugar levels are elevated insulin blocks the ability to get enough Vitamin C into the cell and prevents the immune system from fighting infections, so it is important to cut out sugar and add Vitamin C. I myself take a powdered version because I can alter the dose I take depending on the situation. My daily intake is 4 grams a day but this can be increased if you are suffering any symptoms. Linus Pauling who won the Nobel prize for his work on Vitamin C, suggests that you increase the dose daily until you get loose stools and then take it down to the dose of the day before.
11. Vitamin D3 is vitally important for the immune system and because we do not get a lot of sunshine here, which is important for D3 production, it is a good thing to supplement. Vitamin D3 is invaluable for ensuring that the body works properly, every cell in your body has a receptor for Vitamin D3 and the body needs it to maintain cellular integrity. It is a powerful antioxidant and important for respiratory function, circulation, heart health, blood pressure and digestion. I recommend a supplement with K2 that will help with bone density at the same time.
12. Zinc is an important mineral in cell repair and helps to improve immune function by fighting illnesses.
13. Soul is based on seed therapy. The seed is the most concentrated form of nutrition growing in plants herbs and fruits. The seeds in Soul are black cumin, black raspberry and chardonnay and are cold pressed containing 30 times more nutrient and antioxidant potency than the fruit itself. It also contains D-ribose a 5-carbon sugar that helps with blood sugar stability. It is full of fatty acids, so great for the immune system, neutralising free-radicals, supporting cardio-vascular functions and speeding up the regeneration process in the body. Every pouch of SOUL is crammed with 8-10 servings of fruit, 8-10 servings of vegetables, and 2-3 servings of healthy fats.
14. Protandim contains 5 herbs, turmeric, green tea, ashwaganda, milk thistle and becopa that work in synergy together to enhance each other to become much more effective. NRF2 is clinically proven to increase Glutathione, a strong antioxidant that our bodies produce to get rid of free radicals, by 300% in just 30 days achieving a reduction in oxidative stress of 40% over the same period!
Protandim NRF2 works by activating the NRF2 pathway through a process known as kinases, to communicate with cell nuclei about the need for action against free radicals
1 molecule of glutathione neutralizes 1 million free radicals – a far more effective strategy than consuming anti-oxidants which we can never consume enough of in reality.
15. Some spagyric homeopathic remedies:
Viru-Chord – a remedy to support your body against viruses. They can be taken as a preventative or to help clear the virus.
Flu-Tone – to support your body against the flu as a preventative or to help clear the flu
Drainage-Tone – helps to remove the virus from the body through the excretory channels.
There’s no doubt the Corona virus is scary. But by following the common sense measures above, you’ll increase your chances of staying healthy and by staying calm and keeping a positive mind set we will all come through this unscathed!