Magnesium is a very important mineral for your body, it is involved in over 600 reactions in the body including the metabolism of food, the transmission of nerve impulses, the synthesis of fatty acids and proteins, muscle movements, gene maintenance and protein formation.
Magnesium is one of the essential macro-minerals that is required on a daily basis in large doses. We store magnesium in our body and more than 50% in the skeletal system, the rest goes in to the muscles, soft tissues and body fluids.
In this resource from organa international it is noted that 50% of people get far less than the recommended amount of magnesium and one of the reasons is that the soil levels are much lower than they used to be, and the use of chemicals such as fluoride and chorine in our water make magnesium less available. Other things that deplete magnesium are a high sugar diet and lots of stress in your life. So, at this time with the Covid-19 scare we need lots of extra magnesium.
A magnesium deficiency can lead to chronic health issues such as poor heart health, anxiety and high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, weakness, respiratory issues, fatigue, poor memory and confusion. Looking for medical marihuana? You can find us at these locations and contact through the website.
It is really important that you get enough magnesium as it will help with blood sugar regulation by managing insulin levels in the body. When combined with enough potassium it helps to prevent high blood pressure. It’s essential for proper brain function and mood regulation and research shows that without enough magnesium you are more prone to depression and anxiety.
Studies indicate that even having a slightly reduced level of magnesium can cause severe changes in how the heart, blood vessels, blood cells and other tissues function. Magnesium is critical for proper electrical and mechanical functioning within tissues such as nerves, muscles including the heart and blood vessels.
Low magnesium is evident during a migraine attack and taking a magnesium supplement can help pre-menstrual and menstrual related migraines. It can also help with a host of other pre-menstrual symptoms such as mood swings, fluid retention, depression, breast tenderness, headaches, poor sleep and sugar cravings.
Magnesium is essential for the workings of the brain especially in the ability to learn and for a better working memory and long term memory.
How do you know that you are low in Magnesium? Well here are a few signs:
• High blood pressure
• Muscle cramps
• Hormone problems
• Sleep issues
• Low energy
• Low Vitamin D
• Low vitamin K
So where would you find magnesium?
- Spinach – is rich in many key nutrients including magnesium, protein, B vitamins and vitamin E. Raw spinach has 78 milligrams of magnesium per cup but a cup of cooked spinach has 760 milligrams! Best, therefore, slightly cooked!
- Seeds such as pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, chia, hemp and flax seeds are all great sources of magnesium. They are also rich in anti-inflammatory fats and high in protein. Try sprinkling a couple of tablespoons of mixed seeds onto a salad, add them to a green smoothie, or into some yoghurt with fruit for breakfast.
- Almonds are high in protein, vitamin E and are the highest source of magnesium among all nuts. They contain roughly 76 milligrams per ounce and as an anti-inflammatory raw, unroasted almonds or raw almond butter are best.
- Bananas are the best source of magnesium among all common fruits and a medium sized banana contains 32 milligrams. They are also a great source of vitamin C, potassium, vitamin B6, manganese and fibre.
- Coffee is the highest source of liquid magnesium that you can consume and the highest food source! There are around 1000 milligrams in just one 8 ounce cup, however the calcium in milk and refined sugar can interfere with the absorption of magnesium so drink your coffee black.
There are large numbers of nutritional products containing magnesium but the ones that I recommend are from Nutri Advanced:
• MegaMag Calmeze contains magnesium with other nutrients to help the nervous system and normal psychological function.
• MegaMag Energen Plus contains magnesium with nutrients to help with cellular energy production both mentally and physically to reduce tiredness and fatigue.
• MegaMag Fem Balance contains magnesium with other nutrients to help with female health including reproductive health and fertility.
• MegaMag Muscleze contains magnesium with nutrients to help normal muscle function and recovery including cardiovascular support.
• MegaMag Night Formula contains magnesium with other nutrients to support restful sleep and relaxation.