Having spent a few days in the sun in Majorca over a long weekend I realise how much more relaxed I feel and in general how much better. Why could this be? Is it just that I have been away from the normal routine and relaxing, or is there something else that may be making me feel good? Could it be anything to do with the sun I wonder? No, no I hear you all say, the sun is our enemy it causes skin cancer. Well infact I am going to dispute that fact, and suggest that the sun is the best friend we have when it comes to feeling good, staying fit and avoiding cancer….including skin cancer!
Why is this? The sun is our main source of vitamin D and absolutely vital for our health. According to Dr. Al Sears MD, lecturer and published author from Florida, and Jon Herring, journalist in health, fitness and nutrition, it helps to prevent and treat:
• Cancer, especially melanoma.
• Autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis
• Lowers the risk of Type1 and 2 diabetes
• Reduces the risk of heart disease
• Lowers cholesterol, blood pressure and inflammation
• Boosts your immune system
• Increases the strength of your bones and prevents osteoporosis.
• Prevents depression and regulates mood
• Important for tooth health
• Prevents bone and muscle pain
• Prevents inflammatory bowel disease and other digestive disorders
• Increases fertility and boosts sex hormones in men and women
And those are just some of the things that it can help!
For many years we have been told that skin cancer is caused by the sun. Why is it then that the rates of skin cancer have increased dramatically in the last 30 years? Has the sun changed? No. There have been studies to show that the people that get the least melanoma are those that spend the most time in the sun! Office workers have a much higher incidence of melanoma.
For more than 30 years the sun lotion industry has been supporting the view that the sun is deadly and that we must protect ourselves by smothering ourselves with chemical compounds. These sunscreens contain as many as 5 known carcinogens, 2 of which are activated by the sun! Anything above an SPF of 8 blocks your vitamin D production by more than 95%!
Your body needs sunlight like it needs nutrients. What it doesn’t need, is sunburn! Moderation is the key but remember that sunlight is as natural to your body as breathing! Like oxygen, if you go without sunlight for long enough your body suffers. So go and enjoy the sun with care, and stop starving your body of one of the most important vitamin it needs.