We all know how important it is to drink plenty of water for proper hydration, but by adding fresh lemon juice you are also having a healing beverage. It is such a good thing to have a glass of fresh lemon juice first thing in the morning before any other food or drink.
So, what are the benefits?
• It is a great cleanser and purifier of blood, liver and kidneys.
• It flushes out the body’s circulatory, digestive and elimination systems.
• Although lemon is acid in nature, it has an alkalising effect on the body. This is important because the more alkaline your body is the healthier it will be. Disease only establishes itself in an acid body.
• Lemon juice is a great source of vitamin C, supporting immune function. It also contains calcium, phosphorus, iron and B vitamins.
• Lemon juice supports the digestive system and helps to relieve flatulence, heartburn, indigestion, diarrhoea and constipation.
• Lemons and limes are an excellent source of Vitamin C, B6, folic acid, potassium, flavenoids and the phytochemical limonene, which has anti-cancer effects. They are high in anti oxidants and are potent detoxifiers with antibiotic effects that are protective against bacteria.
Other useful hints for limes and lemons:
A table spoon of lemon juice an hour before a meal can relieve asthma, and a slice of lemon rubbed onto burning soles or heels of the feet can relieve the pain.
Many people take lemon and honey to relieve a cold and this is because the anti-viral properties in lemon help to fight infections and halt the progress of a cold.
Limes and lemons have great digestive qualities and can help to relieve belching and bloating. If you add cinnamon to a glass of hot or warm lemon juice it can help to relieve constipation and detoxify the body.
A glass of diluted fresh lime juice with a pinch of salt can help to relieve the pain of swollen gums and you can also rub the gums with the rind.
Because it is alkaline it can be very helpful in the treatment of inflammatory disorders such as arthritis and sciatica, and it also prevents the deposit of uric acid in the tissues therefore reducing the risk of gout.
If you have a juicer, use the whole fruit including the skin, to get the most nutrition out of it. A good tip is to make ice cubes out of the juice so that you can add them to any drink and make it really refreshing as well as getting all the health benefits.
When buying lemons look at the stem end and there should be 4-5 little lines radiating out from the stem. The more lines there are the higher the mineral content in the fruit.
So enjoy your limes and lemons, except of course if you are sensitive to citrus!