The menopause is a time of fundamental hormonal adjustment causing a variety of symptoms in women over the age of forty. This is caused by dropping levels of progesterone and oestrogen in their bodies.
Symptoms include: hot flushes, sweats, memory loss, depression, irritability, insomnia, palpitations, water retention, vaginal dryness, weight gain, osteoporosis and an increase in facial hair. But if you have a healthy lifestyle you may sail through easily. Essential elements to health are:
- Good food
- Good water
- Good air
- Positive mental attitude
Due to modern farming methods, our food provides much less nutrition than it used to. For instance a large bowl of spinach that in 1945 would have given you 125mg of iron, now gives you 2mg. Also, food sensitivities can be caused by a compromised immune system due to hormonal changes. Eat plenty of organic and local fresh fruit and vegetables; increase your intake of whole grains, especially brown rice, millet, oats and barley and cut out tea, coffee, alcohol, sugar, chocolate and chemical additives.
Since the 1950s when the contraceptive pill and HRT were introduced there has been an increase of oestrogen in our water supply, leading to an oestrogen dominance in our bodies.However, it is possible to buy a water filter that removes oestrogen as well as chlorine and fluoride.
It is vital to keep your body healthy through exercise. This will oxygenate your cells and keep your bones strong, helping to prevent osteoporosis.
Positive Mental Attitude
Keep positive and look for the lighter side of life. Laughing helps to heal the body.
- Prostaglandins, PGE1 are fatty acids manufactured in the body that balance the hormones. They require a supply of vitamin B3, B6, and C and minerals zinc and magnesium before your body can create them.
- Natural progesterone cream balances oestrogen dominance and increases bone density.
- 1000mg of both calcium and magnesium and also boron and vitamin D3 for bone care.
- Vitamin E, red clover, soya, sage or don quai and relaxed breathing (Washington Post 18 Aug 98) for hot flushes and night sweats.
- Magnesium for sleeplessness and low self-esteem.
- Damiana and Saw Palmetto help the genito-urinary system.
- Damiana and St John’s Wort for relaxation, clarity of mind, and restful sleep. Also used to treat depression and memory loss.